Thursday, July 28, 2005

about this I

Diogenes
(?412BC-323BC)

When Alexander the Greeat visited Corinth, he found Diogenes lying in the sun. The king kindly asked him if there was anything he wanted. The surly philosopher replied, "Yes, stand out of my sun."The courtiers were infuriated and spoke ill of Diogenes, but the king remarked, "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes."
(Plutarch, Lives)

Someone said of Callisthenes, Alexander the Great's historian: "What a fortunate man, a part of Alexander's household, privileged to be present at his feasts."Diognes was not impressed. "Say, rather, how unfortunate a man who can neither dine nor sup except at Alexander's pleasure."
(Diogenes Laertius, Eminent Philosophers)

Alexander saw Diogenes rummaging a heap of human bones and asked him what he was looking for. Diogenes answered: "I am searching for the bones of your father, but I cannot distinguish them form those of his slaves."
(J. Braude, Speaker's and Toastmaster's Handbook)

One day Diogenes was observed begging from a statue. Asked what in the world he was doing, he explained, "I am exercising the art of being rejected."
(H. Margolius, Der L├Ąchelnde Philosoph)

When Diogenes saw a child drinking from his cupped hands, he immediately removed his goblet from his bag and dumped it, further reducing his few worldy possessions. He said, "In the practice of moderation a child has become my master."
(H. Margolius, Der L├Ąchelnde Philosoph)

[Asked of his home country] "I am a citizen of the world."
(Diogenes Laertius, Eminent Philosophers)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home